Turkey attacked another turkey who's bleeding from the head.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lengel, May 25, 2010.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    I was out all morning and came home to find that our horrible turkey, Christmas, attacked Thanksgiving who now has a hole in the back of her head a little smaller than the size of a dime. The blood seems to be clotting nicely and there is just a little still oozing from the hole. I got Christmas out of the coop and gave Thanksgiving fresh cool water. It is over 90 today but the coop is under a maple tree and has chicken wire on three sides so very well ventilated. Thanksgiving is resting and alert. She can stand and walked around a little bit.

Should I still try to clean the area or just leave the clot alone?

The turkeys are very healthy birds, semi-free range and great layers. Thanksgiving is a little over two years old now and approximately 25 lbs.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I would either leave it alone or blukote it .. Defintly watch for picking as they can kill eachother quickly from it....

3. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Thank you. I did leave it alone and she seems fine but I"m keeping her away from the others for a while. The back of her head is black now. It looks like a gigantic scab. Beyond ick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by