1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey attacked by dogs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Beck64, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Beck64

Beck64 New Egg

Nov 10, 2015
    Moody, Texas
    I have a turkey thats about a year old, was attacked today bu dogs, He is a pet and I am new to the bird world for pets. I know how to doctor most animals vut I am so lost on what to do for him. I have him in a carrier, keeping him quiet and warm but i dont know what to do now. Not sure what kind of medicine to give him.........any help would be great

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Where is he hurt?

3. Beck64

Beck64 New Egg

Nov 10, 2015
    Moody, Texas
    Back, tail and one side. It looks like a chunk of meat was torn out, feathers ripped out

4. Beck64

Beck64 New Egg

Nov 10, 2015
    Moody, Texas
    His name is Thomas, he adopted 3 guineas who are lost without him.

5. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you post pictures. Will he eat and drink on his own? That would help to see the severity of the wound. Is he eating and drinking on his own? Does he seem alert, or is he ruffled up in shock?

6. Beck64

Beck64 New Egg

Nov 10, 2015
    Moody, Texas
    He is very alert, hasn't eaten or drank yet. But in shock......probably. i will try to get pics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by