Turkey babies, I really need some help please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blueslate, May 24, 2010.

1. blueslate

blueslate New Egg

May 24, 2010
    I have a Blueslate turkey hen who has hatched 7 healthy babies( [​IMG] ), but 2 more hatched 2 days later and she let them die. So I went to take the rest of the eggs out of the nest on day 4 and noticed that one had pecked a hole to get out. I left it for about 12 hours, but it was only peeping not hatching. I know you are not suppose to help them, but my three year old doesn't understand that so we helped it hatch( it would have died like the other three that I did leave like that), and it has now lived for 24 hours. But... it is strong willed but doesn't have the strength to stand. Is there anything I can give it besides time to help it. I know it will always be weak, but it is just her pet. Please if anyone can help I would appreciate it.
    Sarah.

2. gardenknitter

gardenknitter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    The guinea keet I helped yesterday couldn't stand (has a wonky foot and was weak from being shrink wrapped in his shell), so I stood him up and held him that way for a minute or two until he got the hang of it. After that he still fell over a time or two, but was able to get himself back up and he is doing great today! So maybe give him a little turkey physical therapy and help him stand up to get those legs under him. Also, not sure about turkeys, but I wiped the keet's behind with a cotton ball and warm water. He had pooed in his shell and had a bit of a pasty butt going on. GOOD LUCK!!

3. blueslate

blueslate New Egg

May 24, 2010
    Thanks for your info, he has pooped twice and i gave him a few drops of water, but still he doesn't stand. I am trying what you suggested, maybe it will work with a little more time.

4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I don't know what to suggest but hope you have success.

5. blueslate

blueslate New Egg

May 24, 2010
    Well it is now well over 24 hours old and still alive and strong, but still cannot walk yet hmmm. In the mean time another has hatched and seems to have a lot of energy, but... well its just too soon to tell. They are 41/2 days late in hatching from the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by