Turkey Breed Crosses?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by melodylee, Jan 24, 2010.

1. melodylee

melodylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Arkansas
    I have two Bronze hens, I was wondering if when I get a Tom what type of interesting crosses I could get? And also what types of crosses others have gotten (not necesarily with a bronze turkey) and maybe some pictures? [​IMG]

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    We have had mainly Bronze Naragansett type turkeys. Not purebred. The offspring usually reverted to Bronze coloring, like he Wild ones, even though they were bred to a Tom with Royal Palm markings. Probably a lot of them would revert to that color since it is similar to the original wild Turkey color. When they were crossed with a White Holland the poults hatched looking very strange, but grew up to look the same.

3. hunter1hall

hunter1hall Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Mackville, Kentucky
    I have a bourban red hen that is being bred by either a bronze or a narragansette. I have 3 poults that i have hatched from her and they all look like Narragansettes right now. I will keep you posted.

4. melodylee

Apr 14, 2009
    Arkansas
    Thanks! I have severeal breeds of ducks, I'm looking forward to see what the ducklings look like, it got me started thinking of my turkeys! [​IMG]

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I had a palm cross (looked like a calico) hen and a Narrigansett tom. Ended with one palm looking baby and the rest bronze. I just wish that I understood genetics like Kevin Porter does, then it would be worth pursuing different crosses!

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I'm half tempted to try putting a bourbon red hen with my midget white. Wonder how long it would take to make midget reds. [​IMG]

7. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Quote:I'll let you know in a few weeks/months as mine grow out! I just had 10 poults hatch from my Midget White hens... by the looks of the poults, the lone BR tom in the coop/pen was the favored tom. The poults are just a couple of days old, some have more dominant markings than others so it'll be fun to watch them grow out.

In another month or two I'll be separating the MW's from the BR's so will no longer (hopefully) have mixed poults. They're sure cute though!

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Hmmmmm... sure would like to see pics of the reddest looking poults from that hatch as they grow out.

9. melodylee

Apr 14, 2009
    Arkansas
    Quote:me too! [​IMG]

10. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    I would like to see a midget white/ narragansett cross. I imagine they would just be much lighter.

@chancerider

I guess the BR toms don't crush the MW hens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by