Turkey breeding pens, pictures please

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Hillsvale, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    I have built my coop and based on the setup pens the breeder I got my turkeys from (his were small freestaning units about 2' square and 4' long with an "outside" and "inside" and a nesting area...... I arranged a spot to do this as an addition on my coop. Now I am wondering what yours are like so I can get it right the first time,

pretty please [​IMG]

2. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    erm i dont have a pic right now but at the moment my turkeys sit in a field 150m x 40m with a house made from old garage doors that measures about 2m long and 1.5m wide with a few wooden poles as roosts.......

but i think they need a bigger better house(!) it is freezing out there!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  3. Hillsvale

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    Mine do have a 8x8 coop, insulated and windowed etc .... but I want a breeding pen, I have several different heritage breeds and want pure babies.

Mine wait for day light to come out now but they were in the snow last night when we got home in the pitch dark!

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Mine are in tractors.

They are hoop style, measuring roughly ten feet long by nine feet wide with interior dimensions of about 9x8.5. The community nest box on the back will comfortably hold two hens at a time though they usually all want to lay in the same nest. I have White Midgets and at the moment I have five hens and a tom in that tractor and could probably go to six hens without overcrowding. The tractors are basically the same as my chicken layer tractors, but for larger spacing of the roosts and the nest box.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Mine are similar to A.T. Hagan's except I have dog kennels the chain link kind 20X10 use a hoop for the tarp and I have netting on the other half...mine would have a much larger playpen but they insist on getting out so I had to cover them......I'm waiting for them to get too heavy to fly out with a clipped wing [​IMG] my Bourbons are the worst and so far they always came back home but with winter here I didn't want to feed the foxes.

6. Hillsvale

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    Quote:to be clearer... I assume you use this pen year round... I am looking for something just when breeding to isolate the various breeds... I have a nice coop for them as well which I would like to add an annex (for lack of better terms) where they will go for a few weeks a year to breed pure bred babies... mine would not be please in the hoop house with our winter weather and heavy rains/snow/freezing temps.... though summer housing for my meaties.. that would work like a charm! [​IMG]

I am sort of looking for sizes etc so they are comfy while under lockup... does this make sense?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  7. Lotsapaints

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Well to have pure eggs means waiting a month from them being all together..having panels means they can be put up as right now my Midgets are laying and I have pure eggs and really less fighting too. There should be a time when mine could all run together but for now they are separated. The only other way is to have male quarters away from the females and female quarters.....since the hen chooses who she wants I prefer she only hangs out with who I prefer that narrows her choices.....Good luck with your plans

8. Hillsvale

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    Quote:so you segregate in the hoop house, is that what you mean by panels?....

Interesting that you commented on seperating them, mine free range and I would hate to think the female needed to be captive for such a long time... I wonder if I don't put the tom's in the lower pasture and clip everyone's wings, they would have to get over a 5 foot welded wire fence (I have never clipped wings)?... of course right now I have a bourbon hen and tom, two eastern toms and one hen... two blue slate toms with no chick!! Looking, looking... [​IMG] and the meaties which of course will be leaving soon (perhaps an excess heritage tom or two)! or I could really just split the main coop, put one or the other in the lock down side and leave the others to come and go... I could really adjust the lockdown side so the intended " breeder pen addition" could be a screened in area to those on lock down could still go "outside".

I think I may be on crack! lol

9. Lotsapaints

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    With clipped wings only on one side as short as I can clip them without bleeding them out...those Bourbons still get over a 11 ft wall and can get thru the smallest hole to go where they want to go the rest are happy to be where they are.....yes I bought the panels and moved the midgets when I thought they might be thinking about mating......they are still next to the other outlaws they are friends and when somebody gets out they tell me all about it and pace the fence so I know where to look. Pure eggs means penning them separate and 5ft fences would work for some just have to do what you think will work and modify or use netting for the ones who can't stay in. I don't mind my escapees they really like to forage and have some ideas that I'm going to try wish I had 20 acres for them to live in but I would never be able to hatch out eggs in my incubator of all my turkeys the bourbons act the most wild like.

10. Hillsvale

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    Quote:Acgeed on the bourbons... cagey bunch, those I will definately breed so perhaps I do something "special" to encase them... all my turkeys from the full gown blue slates to the eastern wild will get on the top or my garage or house... well over 20 feet, the slates can fly into the lower pasture from there (except the meaties of course)... funny they are so flippin clumsy when you knock them off a fence in the dark to put them away for the night!

Still like your hoop house for meaty chickens though... they would be able to stay out at night if done right. (we have everything including bear!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by