Turkey breeding

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by copper2, Sep 23, 2015.

1. copper2

copper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2015
    Eating a burger
    I want to develop a new breed of turkey, I read that you must have five breeders breeding the birds for five years( this is for chickens figured it was the same as turkey breeding!) I was wondering if someone would be interested in breeding a new type?

2. copper2

May 5, 2015
    Eating a burger
    [​IMG]

3. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Sounds cool! I'm just getting into breeding turkeys but won't have a good enough setup for a couple years (we are moving), my long term goal is to create an auto-sexing turkey breed, not sure if that's even possible though.

4. copper2

May 5, 2015
    Eating a burger
  5. copper2

May 5, 2015
    Eating a burger
    Porters has a turkey called auburn you can tell if it's a tom or hen at birth.

6. Lozuufy

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Yes sorry I meant able to tell at hatch if male/female, I head that Auburn turkeys make a sex linked cross when bred to a bronze so I'm getting some Auburns for sure however I eventually want to create a single breed that can be sexed at hatch without having to cross two different breeds, like a cream legbar chicken. Not sure if that makes sense, I'm not always super good at writing in a sense-making way lol. [​IMG]

7. copper2

May 5, 2015
    Eating a burger
    I think I made a cross on porters turkey calculator and I'm sure your able to stabilize the cross, I'll find out what the cross was

8. copper2

May 5, 2015
    Eating a burger
    It's a royal palm tom, on sweetgrass hen, I tried crossing the crosses together, wouldn't stabilize

9. Lozuufy

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Oh yeah that calculator is pretty cool, I love the bourbon red / lilac cross that makes a blue red bronze, gonna try to get a lilac tom eventually to breed to my bourbon red hen. Turkeys can be so addicting lol

10. Lozuufy

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Just tried the royal palm/sweetgrass cross, really cool, sad it doesn't work with a sweetgrass tom over royal palm hen as i'm getting a royal palm hen soon as a friend for my lonely bourbon red hen and a sweetgrass tom next spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by