turkey burping and head looks dark

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Skunkmiser, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Skunkmiser

Skunkmiser Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    Raymond, NH
    I let out my birds this am and i noticed one of my toms was letting out small burps and head looks dirty(sorta dark)...anyone have any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Could have been choking on something. Is he still `burping'?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  3. Skunkmiser

Nov 1, 2009
    Raymond, NH
    As far as i can tell he stopped burping but his head is still dark and dirty looking.

4. goldenluver

goldenluver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    toms swallow air to look larger, they burp all the time. the dark on his head is probably from fighting with another turkey. bruising and scabbing

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Without a pic, I default to `something out of the ordinary'. It is possible that this is the usual `chuff and puff', but we'll see (hopefully).

6. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I found one of my turkeys looking distressed. I turned him upside down holding him by his feet. Whatever caused it, turning him upside down fixed it. He went to normal in minutes.

7. ShadyHoller

ShadyHoller Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Willamette Valley
    I wrote in a couple of weeks ago with a similar situation, except my turkey had dark leathery scabs on his head, which sounds more severe than what you are dealing with. I was so sure that he had come down with some terrible disease, and I had these images in my head of my whole flock getting sick... and it turned out he just had a worse than average case of bruising from getting into fights. I couldn't believe that was the explanation when it was first suggested, but over the next few days it became pretty apparent that he wasn't sick, just bruised. Now, I'm not saying that's necessarily what you are dealing with, but it's a possibility to consider.

Our toms don't burp much, but they do lots of hissing and puffing and other strange noises, mostly when they strut. Occasionally they do a weird swallowing gesture, where they stick their tongue out and make it look like they are choking. Apparently, for a tom turkey, that's just normal, but it always looks pretty odd to me.

8. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Mine gag a bit when I give them corn. Could look like a burp when they are gorging.

9. Skunkmiser

Nov 1, 2009
    Raymond, NH
    Well my turkey is doing better. After talking to a neighbor i found out that 5-6 wild toms were fighting for a while with my tom for a while in the woods behind my house. So after hearing that and re-reading about the leathery looking scabs...that is what it was. So thankyou for everyones help and input i really appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by