turkey carcass

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lovinlife, Dec 25, 2009.

1. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Can I put the cooked turkey carcass from dinner out for my chickens to peck at? Is the meat good protein for them?

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Yes you can, and they will love it, but ensure it is where your dogs cant get to it.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Yup! They will "murder their cousin" - that's what I accused mine of doing after Thanksgiving!

Then I had to pick all the bones back up before I let the dog back in the yard. Cooked turkey bones are supposedly worse than cooked chicken bones.

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Mine enjoyed the picking off of the Turkey Carcass too! They didn't seem to like the liver or whatever that other thing was - giblet thingy - Or the heart. I fed those to the cats.
    Caroline

5. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I put cooked chicken, turkey, rabbit, etc carcasses out in the run after we have picked over them. The hens clean it absolutely clean. Then I pick up the bones that are left and throw them out into the field. We don't have a dog at the current times so basically any meat scraps we have left I throw out into the chicken run. It's been amazing to me what chickens will eat. About the only things I've not seen them eat so far that might come off our table are potato peels and beets.

6. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Good info! My chickens thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by