Turkey care

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ligeia, Jan 22, 2009.

1. ligeia

ligeia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    I just got Bourbon reds which we will be keeping as pets. I haven't been able to find much information about taking care of turkeys past raising up babies as I guess they're largely raised for food. [​IMG] Mine were raised to be pets (one year olds) and I got them quite suddenly as they needed a place to go. Now I need help! I have kept chickens before, are they going to be similar to caring for a house full of chickens? Do they need a perch off the ground? How large of a nesting box? How often do the females lay eggs assuming they're healthy and eating well? How cold can they get before they need heat lamps? I live in the desert where it only freezes maybe three or four times a year. How hot can they get, for that matter? Sorry there are so many questions! Thanks for any advice people can give me. [​IMG]

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    are they in a coop?

3. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    I have turkeys that I got last spring and they kept flying over the fence in the fall to be with the chickens so I gave in and they live with the chickens and now eat the layer pellets. I get a egg a day occasionally (3 times) I got 2 from 1 female the other is a male. they wouldnt go in the coop till winter came they sleep on the coop floor in shavings. before winter they would roost on the fence. people say they cant live with chickens due to fear of blackhead disease but 2 local friends told me they always had theres together so I gave in and they are fine and happy. They are alot more work for cleaning ya know bigger bird bigger poop and they smell alot more than chickens. my chickens dont smell but those turkeys are smelly poopers. as far as heat all I have in my trailer coop is 1 regular light bulb 13 chickens body heat) and lots of shavings and they are happy and seem healthy. Im In massachusetts where its minus 0 at times but if your talking 30 degrees they will be fine just having shelter verses a coop. they go in out of pop door which is larger than it needs to be for chickens. they bark like dogs too and let us pat them.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by