Turkey caught in netting

Mrichard0930

Songster
7 Years
Sep 15, 2016
Hey I wasn’t going to post thinking I should just hope for the best but our turkey got caught in netting earlier luckily I saw him and Me fiancé ran out untangled him and we’ve been caring for him all day. The netting was around his neck and foot. He had some blood around neck. His eyes got foamy at one point but were fine later. We kept him seperated from he other two turks. He was standing all day then tucking his head in his wing to sleep. He drank a little of water but not much. He finally after a couple hours started walking. We haven’t seen him eat yet. He pooped fine. Well right before we put him in the shed for the night he seemed to be walking into things and I was moving my hand around in from and he wasn’t following. We are so worried he could be blind from strangulation???? Or worst case due overnight. I’ve been googling and obviously cannot find anything related so decided to post just in case anyone knows anything. It broke my heart when he picked him up to put him in the shed he had a feather stuck on his eye so I gently removed it and he actually cried out like a baby I didn’t even know turkeys made that noise ? Anyway any input would be helpful. Thanks

I'm so sorry. I know nothing either, was the foam in his eye perhaps a reaction to irritation from the netting in his eyes? Or dust or something that was on the netting and fell into his eye?

I'm so sorry. I know nothing either, was the foam in his eye perhaps a reaction to irritation from the netting in his eyes? Or dust or something that was on the netting and fell into his eye?
Thanks for responding. We have no clue by the foam was temporary it went away. By the end of the night before bed he seemed much better then when we first found him we literally though he was about to die he laid on ground and then was tucking his head under once he stood up. He slowly came around he seemed to clean a few feathers and respond to car going by the three of them like to alert when a car drives by. He just kept laying down and seemed exhausted he could have been struggling for up to 2 hours since last seen him and me seeing him fighting in netting. I’m just so worried after googling strangulation it says humans can die a day or week later from neurological issues. He seriously seemed blind walking into things I read strangulation can cause vision impairment. I don’t know if I’m getting carried away with google and he’ll be fine I really hope so.

I'd suggest containing him so he can't walk into things and hurt himself. Put him in an enclosure large enough that he can stand up and move around a little bit, make sure he has a soft place to lay, and has food and water, and can see the others.
Photos of his eyes and neck or a video of how he moves might help.
I'd stop googling it. If it's neurological damage, you can't help him anyway, and you'll just stress yourself out reading about it. He might just need some time to sleep and recover.

I'd suggest containing him so he can't walk into things and hurt himself. Put him in an enclosure large enough that he can stand up and move around a little bit, make sure he has a soft place to lay, and has food and water, and can see the others.
Photos of his eyes and neck or a video of how he moves might help.
I'd stop googling it. If it's neurological damage, you can't help him anyway, and you'll just stress yourself out reading about it. He might just need some time to sleep and recover.
Thanks for replying. Yes we put him in our duck shed and brought the ducks inside. It’s full of straw and completely secure we are trying to give him a good nights sleep. There’s a roost if he decides he wants to go up because every night they sleep on roost but when we let him in around 8p he just plopped in the corner. I hope all he needs is sleep and good point about googling there’s no point. I can send pics tmrw morning. I didn’t take any because I didn’t plan on posting but decided to for peace of mind because I started googling and getting in my head. Thanks !!

Back
Top Bottom