Turkey chick help...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fishmilk, Mar 12, 2013.

1. fishmilk

fishmilk New Egg

Jul 5, 2012
    Dade City Florida
    I bought 70 white turkeys, which I have had for exactly 1 week today. I initaily lost 5 due to shipping stress, which the hatchery covered. I lost 8 more due to trampling etc. 4 of them the other turkeys have picked at, Does anyone know a way to stop them from pecking at each other? there is plenty of space, and I clean the pen every other day -I have 2 waterers, and a long trough filled with meat maker food. So food or water si not an issue. Im wondering if they are just culling the weaker birds, if this is normal and if there is a way to curb this to prevent more loss. Thanks for the help.What is a "normal loss?" I was told turkeys were hard to raise because they drowned and would forget to eat and a host of other stuff. i raised 14 last year, with no trouble at all. The ones i have seem happl, and have already began to get wing feathers....eating and drinking nicely. My philosphy was keep them dry,warm and fed.

2. Cockle-Dood

Cockle-Dood Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    New Waverly, TX
    i know when it comes to chicks, pecking could be a result of too much/too bright of light. do you have them under a red or white light? if white, try switching to red and see if that helps. If not, unfortunatly i dont have any turkey experience and am still learning with chickens, but i wish you the best of luck!

3. fishmilk

fishmilk New Egg

Jul 5, 2012
    Dade City Florida
    I have them under 2 red heat lamps...their "pen" is actually a truck toolbox I dont use...LOL...the 2 ligts kep the temp nice and warm, I read the first week or so they shoulf be around 98 degrees, so the 2 lights keep the temp consistant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by