1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey Chick Immobile & Panting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farmer Gab, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    I went to check on my week old turkey chicks this morning and one of them was not doing well. It was splayed out with it's legs behind it. It can barely move. It is panting heavily. The other five chicks seem fine. I removed the sick one and brought it in the house to watch it. Any thoughts???

Thanks,

Gabrielle

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Im sorry Gabrielle, it doesnt sound good. I havent raised turkey poults but if it were a chick or duckling I would recommend exactly what you did. Separate it from the others, keep it warm (but not hot) and watch it closely. If you have some electrolytes or gatorade, give it that to drink and feed it some chopped up cooked egg yolk if it will eat. Also check the poult's butt to make sure it isnt pasted shut.
    I hope the little guy makes it.
    Keep us up to date on his condition.

chel

3. Farmer Gab

Mar 26, 2007
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Well, the bad news is that turkey died. Then this morning there was another one dead. Then this afternoon another one. This is my first time raising turkeys and I was warned that they die "easily", but this seems ridiculous. I only have three left and one has a lame leg so that one's gonna go too! I have raised Barred Rocks, Rhode Islands, and Americaunas from chicks and now I have some New Hampshire chicks too. I never lost a baby chicken so this is particularly frustrating. I bought my turkeys at the feed store - 4 bronze and 2 white. I feed them turkey starter and H20 with Terramycin and sugar. Are mortality rates really this high????

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Gabrielle

4. Farmer Gab

Mar 26, 2007
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Okay. So here's the funny thing...they are in a crate in the workshop and the only thing that visits them is ME! I don't think I am particulary ugly, but I guess I don't know that my turkeys would agree. Maybe from now on when I go to check on them, I will wear camouflage.

Cheers,

Gabrielle

5. barbg1971

barbg1971 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2013
    Talco Texas
    i have a two week old turkey and up until this morning she was doing well. When I went to check them she was just laying there as if she's really exhausted. When I picked her up she started screaming like i was hurting her, normally she just gripes until I put my hand over her eyes or put her down. She's been in the brooder with baby chicks and all has been going fine until today. I brought her inside away from the others in case she's seriously ill but im not sure what may even be wrong with her. (Not even sure it's female) anyway I let her out of the brooder for about ten mins this morning while i was cleaning it out. She stayed inside the chicken coop and i didn't notice if she may have eaten something but there isn't much on the coop floor (only have one rooster and one duck at this time, so don't know what she could have gotten ahold of) any ideas what may be happening?

6. barbg1971

Feb 26, 2013
    Talco Texas
    Edit: when she spreads her wings they quiver as if she were freezing. Coop is 70 degrees.

7. stevepabody

stevepabody New Egg

Dec 8, 2012
    Would like to hear how things are going, as it looks like I have a chick with the same thing.

8. barbg1971

Feb 26, 2013
    Talco Texas
    Unfortunately my turkey died this morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by