turkey chick THREW UP when I tried to look at her hurt leg - help!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenannie, May 19, 2008.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I don't know what to do! Is it because she is freaked out?
    I saw her limping yesterday in the pen with her momma (she is 2 weeks old) and today was badly limping, so I caught her, put her inside a brooder (cardboard box with heat lamp and food/water) with 2 tiny turkey chicks. I can't tell what's wrong with her leg, but she keeps pecking desperately between the toes, or under the bottom of the foot. I picked her up and she threw up big time (watery substance). These are not tame chicks -- she's been with her momma for 2 weeks who I think has taught her to be scared of us humans.
    I waited a few minutes till she called down and picked her up again, and she threw up again. I'm afraid i'm killing the poor thing, and I don't know what to do for her leg anyways. I can't see the problem. Maybe a thistle pricker got stuck in it?
    Should I swish her foot around in iodine just to be sure?

The 2 chicks are another problem -- tried to get them adopted with 10 other chicks but they got attacked by a mean turkey mom (I think because they were a darker color than the others. A third dark colored one was even killed). I cannot for the life of me get them to eat and drink no matter how much I keep dipping those beaks. I'm afraid they will die.

Please, someone give some advice???

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  2. ArcticFox

ArcticFox Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    awww, poor babies [​IMG] I wish I could tell you want to do but I'm new at this. I'm hoping someone with more experience will see this and respond. If all else fails, I've found my local feed barn to be very helpful where my chicks are concerned.

Good luck!

Melissa

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If you grabbed the limping chick and put pressure above the keel bone you likely pushed food up out of the crop.

Pick her up and wrap her in a towel. Then check the leg and toes over while restrained.

Turkey poults are really dumb when it comes to eating and drinking. Many raise a few chicks at the same time to show them how to eat and drink. It is nothing unusual to take two or three days of showing them water and feed before they get the idea. They will not starve to death as new poults are geared to survive for a few days without feed and water. Paper towels in a brooder box and sprinkle some feed on it. They normally peck out of curiousity and learn it is food.

No doubts mom rejected them because they look different.

4. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks Kstaven. This is really hard caring for chicks, especially when they are injured! I thought I knew what I was doing, but this has really stressed me out. I hate to see hurt birds. All 3 chicks seem OK this morning, except the leg is still hurt on the 2-week old. I'll plan to check its leg as you suggested later today. They've been eating and drinking, thank god! I cranked up the heat lamp even more and they seem to appreciate the extra heat.

The mom is also stressed that i took her hurt chick. she is pacing back and forth, calling for hours. I don't know how to tell her I"m trying to help! They have a really strong bond.
    I've only ever raised hatchery chicks before and there is a real difference in their behavior and instincts when they're with their momma.

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Can you show the momma that the chick is okay - bring chick to her a couple times a day just to show her (that is, if picking her up doesn't make her throw up!)? Hoping this will calm her fears and worries...

Good luck to you!
    JJ

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  6. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I'm not sure how you might do this on a turkey poult, but when I have a sticker or sliver that I can't see or get out with tweezers, I coat the area with a thin layer of carpenter's glue (white glue works also), let it dry, and peel it off. Most of the time the offending invader comes with it.

7. MaryT

MaryT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2008
    Elkton
    Good luck with your babies

8. Yotta Yotta

Yotta Yotta Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Madison AL
    Hey chickenannie! I hope you are able to figure out what is wrong with your turkey chick! We 're kind of in the same situation as you. It's our first time raising a turkey and ours has been limping and stuff too and we weren't sure what was wrong with it, but it looks like there's some good advice here I think I'm going to try when I see him next. I know that when I turned the heat up in the brooder the turkey started acting a little better.

9. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Wrapping the limping turkey in a small towel did NOT work. I tried several times and he was too panicky. He threw up again despite my trying to handle him very gently. I did get to check his foot and saw nothing. I was going to wash it off and dip in betadine, but his struggling made it impossible. I put him back in with momma and they're both ecstatic.

The bad news is one of the dark colored chicks died this afternoon. Just too much I guess. When I checked on him at 3, he was standing odd but looked ok. hour and a half later he was half dead. I tried to revive him, give water in his beak, gave more heat and he stopped breathing in my arms eventually. I feel very bad, but realized that I'm doing the best I can, and I can't do much more than that.

Sighhhhh....

Prayers for the last chick in the brooder.

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    aaaawww sorry you lost one but I am glad the other is back with mama...that will be less stress on both of them. Good luck with remaining brooder baby [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by