1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey chick wing clipping

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by SussexInSeattle, Jun 8, 2017.

1. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    To any turkey people, I have turkey chicks for the first time and the smallest one keeps escaping from the pen and getting itself lost. Yesterday I went in after giving up finding it, only to come out an hour later and it was back in the pen! The trouble is that the one remaining in the pen screams it's head off until the other one comes back, also there are dogs cats and other predators in the neighborhood. CAN I CLIP A BABY TURKEY'S WING? All the videos I could find showed clipping adult turkeys. This one is under 3 weeks and constantly looking for holes in the upper enclosure!

2. BirdManInMo

BirdManInMo Just Hatched

Apr 26, 2017
    Central Missouri
    Put a roof on your enclosure ??

Some cheap chicken wire will do.

3. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    I would like to let them run in my chicken run which is 10 x 40 and so that amount of chicken wiring it's not really possible and Ive seen videoes where people are cutting turkey wings but they are adults

4. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I don't recommend clipping wings on young poults. They are so light that it does not take much to get them airborne, especially if you clip both wings. They are constantly growing new feathers so clipping would have to be done pretty frequently compared to adults that often only molt once a year.

Clipping adult wing feathers on one wing works pretty good. By the time the flight feathers grow back most of them have forgotten that they can fly unless something startles them into flying.

5. ILuvMyFlock

ILuvMyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2017
    On the Farm
    Use a chicken tractor or put a top on it but I absolutely do not condone wing clipping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by