1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey Chick With Broken Leg. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CherryAdventure, Sep 2, 2016.

1. CherryAdventure

CherryAdventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2014
    Hi. So, yesterday afternoon, my turkey chick got attacked by the male turkey, and I'm 99% sure it's leg is broken. It's the upper left leg, and the rest of the leg is just dangling. It can hop, but not with out falling every four hops, and it sits kind of on it's side. I'm not sure if there are any internal injuries, but I'm assuming so, as I had to run around the pen trying to get the male to drop it.

Apart from the broken leg, it's acting fine?... I'm not sure what this means. I've never had anything like this before.

Can I do anything about this, or am I just extending it's suffering by keeping it alive?

Any help is greatly appreciated. x

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Sorry about your turkey... When you say upper leg, which bone do you mean?

-Kathy

3. CherryAdventure

Dec 8, 2014
    The one that sits beside his body. His thigh I guess.

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Which bone as shown here:
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

5. CherryAdventure

Dec 8, 2014
    Oh. His femur then.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  7. CherryAdventure

Dec 8, 2014
    Okay. Thank you.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    good luck!

-kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Search for "splinting chicken femur" and maybe you'll find better info. Maybe @SpeckledHills , @TwoCrows , @Eggcessive , @speckledhen , or @Chickerdoodle13 will have some suggestions?

-Kathy

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by