Turkey, chickens and goats oh my!

oppida

Hatching
6 Years
May 3, 2013
Hi There!

We have 6 chickens and 3 goats living in a fenced off area that is about 8000 square feet. Maybe more. We have another 10 acres, but it's not properly fenced for poultry and the goats....

Anyway, we are raising 3 turkeys (in a brooder now, since they are very young) and I was wondering if you think the area is big enough to support 6 chickens and 3 turkeys (since the goats are not "competition" in terms of food)? I would think so, but I'm not sure what the requirements are for free-ranging per acre per animal. We do supplement with grain for the chickens, but cut way down during spring, summer and fall.

Thanks so much!

trunkman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Rock Hill SC
I had 2 goats and 29 chickens in a 3000 square foot area and they did just fine. The only problem is that the goats ran out of forage and started jumping the fence to get to the greenery so we had to sell them, our neighbors have large dogs and were afraid they would wander into their yard.
I think you have plenty of room for more, you'll just have to supplement their diets with grains and such.
smile.png

Top Bottom