Turkey chicks

chubbchubb7

Songster
Apr 19, 2016
So we hatched some chicks. I put them in the box with two chicks and the thermometer read 82. I was told raising them was like raising chicks. This morning only one was walking around. The others were sprawled out. Since then read the heat needs to be at 90-95 or higher? Is that accurate? I did that. Is there anything else that could be wrong?
I showed them where the water and the other chicken chicks were eating feed. The chicken chicks were taken out cause they didn't like the turkey ones.

Update:
The ones that weren't walking still aren't. It's like they can't get their feet up under em. I dipped everyone's beak in the water again...
Wondering if I should add syrup? To the water

Turkeys should be warmer when brooding, I generally start at about 95 degrees. I also put a teaspoon of brown sugar to a quart of water for the first week. I would get some sort of sugar water in them at this point in case they have low blood sugar.

Ok one of the 4 is walking but the others are just sprawled out trying to crawl around
What do you think is wrong with them?

Are they eating and drinking? Are they weak, or alert and looking around?

Turkeys are clumsy initially as they learn to use their big legs. If they didn't get up and get working the muscles it could be they are weakened and you may need to take some time to get them standing with assistance.

They try to get away from me so they aren't super weak. I keep dipping their beaks. They sit sprawled out... I'll send a pic

Sometimes it helps to put them in a small container like sour cream comes in with a piece of paper towel under them. They than can push against the container to rise up.

Back
Top Bottom