TURKEY CHICKS!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by FREEWAYCAT, Jun 2, 2008.

1. FREEWAYCAT

FREEWAYCAT New Egg

Jun 1, 2008
    HOW DO I TELL THE DIFFRENCE BETWEEN A MALE AND FEMALE TURKEY CHICK?

2. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I can not help ya there. I know nothing about turkeys! [​IMG]

3. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    my baby turkeys are being shipped today too! From Cackle Hatchery, I got straight run so I hope I can figure out the sex, I got 5!

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    You have to vent sex them similar to chickens. Depending on the breed, males and females will have different feathers.

We just bought some White Holland about a month old. The guy showed me how to vent sex them. The older and more relaxed they are the better. I'm still not quite sure what I have. LOL. He said he gave me a pair, but when he showed me how to ventsex to tell which was which, they both looked the same to me.

-Kim

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I compare the little snood bumps on their heads. The females have a smaller bump when they are little poults, they get a little older and it gets hard to tell, then they get older still and it gets easy again when the females will have a skinny thing that looks more like a skin tag.

6. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    the toms will get a red face and droopy skin will hang down under neck.
    also they are heavier and have chunky bodies compared to hens which are smaller framed and streamlined...

7. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    You will begin to notice the little gobblers developing waddles and the fuzz on their heads disappearing at around 6 or 7 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by