Turkey coop and nesting question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lynn1961, Sep 25, 2011.

1. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    What do you guys use for your turkies as nest and a coop ? Pictures would be great if anyone would be kind enough to share.

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just have one turkey, she's going to go in my chicken coop when it's finished and hang with the chickens. [​IMG] There is a turkey page! You might get more info over there and see what they are doing. I usually take my turkey questions over to them. [​IMG] Are you wanting to put a bunch of turkeys in a coop together? I know my turkey loves to roost high at night (she flies REALLY well!) and she digs holes in the ground to sit in. I'm not sure if she's going to use the nesting boxes..I've been reading that turkeys like to dig a hole and nest on the ground. What have yours been doing? My Jenny is too young to be laying yet, so I don't know what her behaviors will be. But if you are determined to build them a nest box- the turkey people told me nothing smaller than 16 X16 for a nest box-- and bigger is better- like 18 X 18.

3. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. I have 7 Merriam turkeys . Their coop is 6'x12' with a 20' run. They seem to do fine.

[​IMG]

4. lynn1961

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    Quote:Thank you for the nest size, I knew they would not be able to get into the chicken nest, if thats what they decide to do. I have never had turkies before, but this trio was such a good deal, and I have been wanting some.

5. lynn1961

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    Quote:Thank you for the pic and information, it helps a lot, I just don't want to make a mess of the turkies.

6. Hawkeye95

Quote:Thank you for the nest size, I knew they would not be able to get into the chicken nest, if thats what they decide to do. I have never had turkies before, but this trio was such a good deal, and I have been wanting some.

I think you will love them! What kind do you have? I have a Royal Palm- a heritage breed, so she is a lot smaller than some of the more modern breeds that get huge. I did make my pop door into the coop a bit larger because I wanted her to be able to get in easily. My pop door is 16 X 16. I made openings and the nest boxes on the larger side so she can use everything. Over kill on size for chickens.. but you do what you have to do. [​IMG] And I plan on always having a turkey around. She is fun- she is so sweet, she flys up on my shoulder and perches there and then she will sometimes groom my hair! She's very affectionate, definitely a pet.

7. lynn1961

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma

I think you will love them! What kind do you have? I have a Royal Palm- a heritage breed, so she is a lot smaller than some of the more modern breeds that get huge. I did make my pop door into the coop a bit larger because I wanted her to be able to get in easily. My pop door is 16 X 16. I made openings and the nest boxes on the larger side so she can use everything. Over kill on size for chickens.. but you do what you have to do. [​IMG] And I plan on always having a turkey around. She is fun- she is so sweet, she flys up on my shoulder and perches there and then she will sometimes groom my hair! She's very affectionate, definitely a pet.

I got Standard Bronze, I did not realize how beautiful they were until I say them in the dirrect sunlight, their feathers a so pretty. They are a lot of fun, with very distinct personalaties. Already they come running to the fence with the chickens to see if there are any treats.

8. Hawkeye95

oh those are really pretty, I agree! [​IMG] If you start on a coop for them, post pictures! [​IMG] My coop pictures are on my BYC page (link under my profile). I'm still working on mine. Taking forever since the heat this summer was brutal! We're FINALLY ready to put the roof and siding up. Seems like it took eons to get to this point! [​IMG] Good luck with your coop plans!

9. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois

[​IMG] I love my turkeys! I got them this year for the first time. Right now I have 5 Royal Palms and 14 Bourbon Reds. I am keeping three of each --- a tom and two hens of each breed. We just built a coop for them this weekend. it is 8x8 ft and 8 ft high and they have a 20x30 ft run. I put pine shavings in the coop. Someone mentioned to me that putting a few straw bales length wise out from the wall 18-24 inches apart with plenty of bedding between them would be a good nesting area. It is raining right now but will take pics when I can. When the weather is decent they love roosting in the rafters of their enclosed run... they live with 4 chickens (all grew up together) and even they follow the turkeys to the highest roosts.

10. Hawkeye95

Quote:I think you will love them! What kind do you have? I have a Royal Palm- a heritage breed, so she is a lot smaller than some of the more modern breeds that get huge. I did make my pop door into the coop a bit larger because I wanted her to be able to get in easily. My pop door is 16 X 16. I made openings and the nest boxes on the larger side so she can use everything. Over kill on size for chickens.. but you do what you have to do. [​IMG] And I plan on always having a turkey around. She is fun- she is so sweet, she flys up on my shoulder and perches there and then she will sometimes groom my hair! She's very affectionate, definitely a pet.

[​IMG] I love my turkeys! I got them this year for the first time. Right now I have 5 Royal Palms and 14 Bourbon Reds. I am keeping three of each --- a tom and two hens of each breed. We just built a coop for them this weekend. it is 8x8 ft and 8 ft high and they have a 20x30 ft run. I put pine shavings in the coop. Someone mentioned to me that putting a few straw bales length wise out from the wall 18-24 inches apart with plenty of bedding between them would be a good nesting area. It is raining right now but will take pics when I can. When the weather is decent they love roosting in the rafters of their enclosed run... they live with 4 chickens (all grew up together) and even they follow the turkeys to the highest roosts.

oh, I'd love to see your coop!! I love Royal Palms. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by