Turkey crow collar?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by BReeder!, Jul 15, 2019.

1. BReeder!

BReeder! Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    Plainfield, IL
    My Coop
    I have seen people who have success with crow collars on roosters. I am wondering if it would work on a tom turkey to keep gobbling to a minimum. We have a 1/3 acre lot with neighbors on both sides and behind us. I have 4 turkeys growing out right now. I would like to keep a tom if I could to breed them next year. I just cannot torture my neighbors with a gobbling turkey, or else they will torture me.

mixedUPturk likes this.
  2. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    If you can't have a tom turkey gobbling all the time, invite him to dinner his first Thanksgiving. I have never heard of a crow collar for turkeys and hope they never make one. I would consider it cruel punishment. You are better off without tom turkeys if you and your neighbors can't tolerate the gobbling.

3. BReeder!

BReeder! Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    Plainfield, IL
    My Coop
    To be clear, I could tolerate gobbling. I would even enjoy it. I just don't think the neighbors would tolerate it. I have seen a rooster with a crow collar and it didn't seem bothered by it at all. Perhaps if it wasn't properly fitted it would be a problem. I appreciate the opinion for sure though, and I certainly do not want to treat any animal cruelly.

4. memphis

memphis Free Ranging

Aug 6, 2012
    Crowing & gobbling are instinctive behaviors. It has biological meaning for these birds. Any attempt to quell their natural calls would be cruel & make for one frustrated bird. I agree with R2elk....cruel punishment.

mixedUPturk, BReeder! and R2elk like this.
  5. BReeder!

BReeder! Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    Plainfield, IL
    My Coop
    While I appreciate the opinion of those who are against crow collars, I do want to know if anybody had actually tried using a crow collar on turkeys.

mixedUPturk likes this.
  6. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Are you allowed to keep poultry and more specifically roosters where you live? If you are allowed to keep roosters then a turkey tom’s gobbling won’t be prohibited.

mixedUPturk likes this.
  7. BReeder!

BReeder! Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    Plainfield, IL
    My Coop
    I am allowed to keep poultry and have a permit for them. However roosters are prohibited. Toms are not specified. I am trying to keep the neighbors happy as we get along with them and are trying to keep it that way.

8. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    This is the only other reference that a google search turned up, that is other than the idiot on YouTube claiming his Turken is half turkey.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/can-you-put-a-sound-collar-on-a-turkey.1210580/

9. BReeder!

BReeder! Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    Plainfield, IL
    My Coop
    :lau

mixedUPturk, memphis and R2elk like this.
  10. memphis

memphis Free Ranging

Aug 6, 2012
    BReeder...I can certainly understand. I have city turkeys. So far only hens tho....

mixedUPturk likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: