Turkey died.. I think heart attack. Should I butcher it or throw it away?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by cupman, Oct 11, 2012.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    My turkey died and he was fine before I ran errands. He is about 8 months old and he is a broad-breasted. I was planning on doing them in soon but I was at the beach until this morning. Is it safe to try and butcher him or should I not bother with it? He's been dead maybe 2 hours max.

2. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd go for it.

RobertH

3. cupman

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Just an update: I have never processed any kind of animal before and was not prepared or equipped with the proper tools but I just kind of hacked away at it and after an hour I had what looked like the turkeys in the store. I definitely made mistakes but I think I salvaged better than 90% of the turkey. It's in the freezer as of now but I'm still unsure of whether or not I should eat it. Maybe I'll invite some friends over as lab rats.

4. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

You might want to refrigerate it for a day or two until rigor releases. supposed to be more tender.

If it has only been a couple hours you should be good, unless you suspect poison or other illness.

RobertH

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Glad that you went for it. Congrats on your 1st.

I found a dead guinea caught between the fence. It had been there all day (I think). It was my VERY first time processing. I processes it myself and made a guinea gumbo. It was delicious !!!!!!!!!!! :drool Instead of road kill, it was yard kill. :/

Can you take pics of your turkey and post?

It should be good.

Let us know what the lab rats say about it.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Curiously, what was the hardest part for you?

7. cupman

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I had the most trouble with the bird's limbs. The main part of the bird was easy because it is broad.. there's not a lot of detail work like with the little parts of the limbs. The guts were pretty gross, especially the intestines, but they were easy to deal with for me. If you are grossed out easily that may be the hardest part.

I would take pictures but my camera is at the beach on a fishing trip. It should be home Tuesday and then I'll take a few pictures of it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

The gross out factor is not an issue with me... Heck, I just did a necropsy on a hen and found a one pound mass of solidified puss in her oviduct. Was the plucking easy? And what was hard about doing the limbs?

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

What do you think caused the puss? Do you take pics when you do the necropsys?

10. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Ok. I have to process a couple of males and I am scared that I won't be able to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by