turkey died in shell ???

borntoride

Chirping
11 Years
Jun 22, 2008
western Ky
Day twenty seven came home and there was about a half inch crack in shell, waited awhile and nothing else, decided to help and the little guy was dead. Anyone have any answers. That would have been my first turkey to hatch out, two more due to hatch tomorrow any advise.

Hmm..I'd read up on eggtopsies to find out what happened. If it was dry I'd assume shrinkwrapped. I'd also candle the others quick and see if they are still moving.

humidity or temp too low or too high in the incubator, this could affect the other in hatching also, we have found most of the time this is the reason for bad hatches. just from our experiences.

have the new 1588 incubator and says temp and humidity is good. Don't have a candler. Should I just try and help others out since they are due tomorrow

if you dont have a candler a good bright flashlight would do also, although i would not reccomend candling them this close to the hatch date at this point humidity and temp is very crucial, i know its hard to do but the last three days of incubation shouldnt be interupted by temp change or humidity drop at all you should keep the doors closed, if your poults dont start to peep or crack out of the shell on the hatch date you may try and help them although we havent had the best luck with asisted hatches.

I just had the same thing happen to me earlier this week -my first batch of turkeys ever. I set 13 eggs(also 6 chicken eggs) and on day 27(Tues) four started to pip and then stopped. I ended up peeling open the four and then opened all the other eggs. I looked like several of the turkeys had died within a few hours before I decided to aid them. They were perfectly formed and still soft. 7 turkeys and 2 chicks survived me cracking them open.
I also use the 1588 hovabator. I was reading the instructions that came with the incubator and it stated the humidity at lockdown should be at 55%-65%, but after reading on here some people are suggesting 70%-80%. I'm going to try that next time. I had a batch of chicken eggs before this one that I had to help all the chicks out of. I'm thinking the humidity might have something to do with it, as the membrane looked dry when I hatched them out.

I know people discourage manual hatching, but I would definitely help the others out, at least they will have a chance. In the past 2 months I've had to manually hatch out 25 eggs(out of these, only 9 had pipped). I now have 14 chicks and turkeys that otherwise would have died if I had left them on their own.

Good luck!

have the new 1588 incubator and says temp and humidity is good. Don't have a candler. Should I just try and help others out since they are due tomorrow
Did you end up helping them out? Did any of your babies make it?
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom