Turkey eating it's own excrement? Never kiss a turkey on the mouth!!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Poultergeist, May 29, 2008.

1. Poultergeist

Poultergeist Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2008
    Bronze Breasted Turkey's Making a meal out of their own excrement?????

I have ten BB turkey's living outdoors in a 20x 40 foot pen. They seem to enjoy chowing down the feces of their pen mates as soon as the crap hits the ground. I keep them well watered, and they have ample access to forage as well as 20 Percent poultry food. I even have added protein grain (oats and corn) thinking it might be a protein deficiency. They still eat their own crap though. I am concerned. Has anyone experienced this before....? Any opinions would be appreciated..,.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah... I've caught a few of my turkeys eating fresh chicken poo... the cecal type too. YUCK!

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! [​IMG] I know I shouldn't have opened THIS thread.... [​IMG]

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Yep mine do it too. BBB arn't the smartest birds in the shed. Must not be getting all the protein out of the feed in the first go round! [​IMG]

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:Thanks for ruining my holiday [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    And to think i have 2 Royal Palm heading to my house. There goes my dinner in Nov.

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    I don't know how concerned you should be. Coprophagy in turks isn't that unusual, but I've yet to see it in our Royals/Slates (3yrs). I'd probably try polyvisol in the water and switch to 30% Game Bird Starter and observe for decreased poop scarfing (some deficiency or other). From what I've read, keeping pens TOO clean can promote disease owing to decreased bacterial (normal flora) load.

IIRC this behavior is more common in dogs and mice...

And we humans (waste not/want not, right?) have gotten quite industrial about it:

http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/004/X6518E/X6518E00.HTM

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Wow, they've even written a book on it :|

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by