Turkey Egg? **added picture**

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by LadyTurkey, Oct 28, 2011.

1. LadyTurkey

LadyTurkey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    GreatFalls
    Me and the Hubby think we MIGHT have found two turkey eggs , we found them in the turkey enclosure, in a little dog house they like to hide in. They are light brown and have dark brown speckles all over them. They are a bit smaller then what we thought a turkey egg would be, but then again they are young turkeys. Then we thought it might be a chicken egg, because the neighbors chickens have broken in to our turkey enclosure in the past, but not one of the chickens they have, lay speckled eggs. So now I am not sure about these mystery eggs ahahah . I will try and post some pictures, maybe it will help.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Turkey eggs have reddish brown speckled on the eggs all over. Turkey eggs really arent all that large and could be mistaked for a large chicken egg.

3. LadyTurkey

Jun 5, 2011
    GreatFalls
  4. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Definately turkey eggs

5. LadyTurkey

Jun 5, 2011
    GreatFalls
    Thanks [​IMG] Im excited to know that we have a female! I havent been 100% on what my three turkeys are yet.

6. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    You could post pictures of the turkeys and we can determine the gender. I also just bought 2 more " females" but one is growing a beard so it looks I just have 1 female. It is also an odd time of the year for them to be laying. I thought turkeys only laid march through September... How old are the turkeys? Maybe I should be looking for eggs from mine

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    yup those are turkey eggs!!! I loved it when I found my first ones!!! congrats!!!! hope you have a pair! PHOTOS!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  8. LadyTurkey

Jun 5, 2011
    GreatFalls
    Thanks for the input everyone!!! I do have some more recent pictures , So help with determining genders would be a big help!

9. TammyP

TammyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    Thank you for posting a picture of your eggies......I got so excited that I ran in the kitchen and started looking through my mounds of chicken eggs in the many baskets and I knew that I saw one like yours (cuz I thought, hmmmmm....never saw one like this one before)....and wahlah! I have one too. LOL

I knew that one of the hens was getting ornery with my chickens and has been hanging in the nesting box area of the chicken coop....but I didn't think they would lay any eggs until Spring for some reason.

Just to make sure, I had my hubby hold the egg and I brought up your picture and said, "well?" and he smiled and said 'yup'. I also did that with my daughter....and her smile got so big.

Thanks again for posting again.....it educated me. [​IMG]

~Tammy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by