Turkey egg fertilizing

KPurityGurl

Hatching
Feb 23, 2021
How many eggs will a male turkey fertilize in one mating session? If I keep collecting the turkey eggs, how many will be fertile until they are no longer fertile? My male and female have done the deed and I know my first 3 are fertile as they are in the incubator. As far as I know, they have done the deed twice, as they are separated and not always together.

How many eggs will a male turkey fertilize in one mating session?
Hi there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Chicken (and I'm presuming turkey) eggs can be fertile internally for two weeks and up to 3 after ONE mating session before fertility fades significantly. The hen has an internal sperm storage system, for lack of a better description currently. Eggs can be stored for 7 days safely before setting once laid. Slightly longer is possible but not ideal, hatch-ability decreases with extended storage time.

Collect all the eggs you plan to hatch and set them on the same day in order to prevent a staggered hatch IF possible in the future.

I use a larger incubator which I set new eggs in each week when I move the hatching group to the smaller hatching bator.. in order to hatch every week.. when desired. :oops:

Happy hatching your poult babies! :jumpy:jumpy

Thank you for your reply. Yes. I do incubate all together, placing in incubator at the same time for my chickens and ducks. I also did with these three turkey eggs. I was just curious how many eggs they could potentially fertilize in one mating session. Good to know that potentially 14-21 eggs will be fertile. Thanks again! 😁

Back
Top Bottom