1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey egg humidity??

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by BuffaloRidge, Apr 25, 2011.

1. BuffaloRidge

BuffaloRidge New Egg

Jun 20, 2010
    I just built an incubator with a hatching tray. I will be hatching eggs at different times. I have read that you need to increase humidity at hatch time.. Is there a happy meduim that I can set the humidity to and have good hatches?..

2. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I don't know. I hope so. I can't get my incubator to stay higher then 60% no matter what I do. I can get it above that, but it doesn't stay there. It is staying in the high 50's. I am in lock down now. I am hoping that it is just a meter error.

I will watch this thread to see if you get any answers or I will post if/when my 2 eggs hatch or don't hatch.

3. mbnewby

mbnewby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    you want to be in and or above 70 percent you can increase your surface area to get huniduty up buy placing sponges in water tray

4. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Can I open it in lock down now to do that?

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I do staggered hatches of turkey and chicken eggs.

What I do is set eggs once a week. As each setting comes up on their final three days I run the humidity up to between 60-65% (I'm in Florida). When their time is done I run it back down to about 50% until the next setting comes up on their final three days. I'm using a Dickey cabinet and typically get hatch rates in excess of 90% for chickens and 85% for my Midget White turkeys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by