Turkey egg laying habits

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenmama7, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Chickenmama7

Chickenmama7 New Egg

Sep 12, 2008
    We have had chickens for years...so I understand them pretty well. But we just got some year old Bourbon Red and Royal Palm Turkeys, a set of each. I am confused because the bourbon red hens are laying, and I thought that they only lay in the spring into summer. Does anybody know why are they doing this?

2. knippk

knippk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Grayson KY
    I've had turkey's for about 5 years......mine always lay again this time of year for about a month??? I don't know if it's normal or not but mine have done this since i got them [​IMG]

3. Chickenmama7

Chickenmama7 New Egg

Sep 12, 2008
    THANKS FOR REPLYING. Do you know if the eggs CAN BE FERTILE THIS TIME OF YEAR? WILL THE TURKEYS GET BROODY?

4. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    It's quite likely that the eggs are fertile. It's also likely that the hens might become broody for awhile, but as the daylengths get shorter and shorter, they might abandon the nest. This has happened to me several times. Since I live in an area where our winters are quite severe, I don't like to have a bunch of poults that need to be babied for 6 months till spring comes. [​IMG] Good luck!

5. knippk

knippk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Grayson KY
    My eggs have always been fertile.....but i've not had one go broody this time of year [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by