Turkey egg question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by megshenhut, Mar 31, 2009.

1. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    I have a friend who just gave me a couple turkey eggs to incubate. Should my temp and humidity be the same as for chicken eggs? I know they take 28 days, but is everything else the same, as in upping the humidity the last 3 days?

2. jj ranch

jj ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
  3. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

I think my dad used the same setting for chickens, ducks, and turkeys when we were kids, and we always had good hatches no matter what breed...but turkey poukts are stupid, you have to babysit the crap out of them the fist few days...they cant drink without lots of help, and drown really easily when left alone too long. We always had good hatches and always lost like half of them within the first few days.

4. dustysangel

dustysangel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Springfield
    Thought I would set some chicks to hatch about the same time to help the poults.

5. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    Thanks for the replies. Dustysangel, remember if you set some chickens with your turkeys you have to start them a week later. Turkeys take 28 days to hatch and chicks only 21 days.

6. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I have some turkey e.ggs in the incubator along with some chickens, the chickens will hatch 3-4 days sooner than the poults so they can brood together and hopefully the poults can learn from the chicks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by