turkey egg turning question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thebulg, Jun 8, 2016.

1. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    after learning that some people stop turning chicken eggs around day 14, and basically just candling once a day. it got me thinking about turkey eggs. the incubation period is longer obviously, but does anyone hatch turkey eggs and stop turning at any point before 24/5 days? any pointers or thoughts or experiences?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

i know that with chickens the best time to stop turning the eggs is on day 18, try looking in the turkey forum

3. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    When I use the incubator to hatch turkey eggs, I stop 3 -4 day before they hatch. I candle them on day 14 and day 24 to make sure they are alive.

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    The equivalent would be day 18 or 19 (2/3rds through incubation). I tried that with my guinea and (shipped) turkey eggs last time and did not have good results, but it could have been something else as well since it was my first time incubating.

5. thebulg

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    yeah, i was thinking the equivalent would be day 18 and figured i would stop around day 20. i only incubate a couple at a time, so i candle every night because i love seeing the development! i read that sometimes too much movement and turning late in the game can result in a twisted yolk, and the chicks i've lost have all been very very late stage (day 16-18), fully developed, no yolk absorption. and then i read about turning not being necessary in the last 3rd, blah blah. anyway, i figure biologically it makes some sense. i'll probably stop turning this weekend, with a week to go. thanks everyone!

6. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Let us know how it goes!

7. thebulg

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    will do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by