Turkey eggs in an egg turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ginbart, Apr 23, 2009.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I'm getting turkey eggs this week, I hope.

Can I put them in my chicken egg turner.

I don't know how big the eggs are because I never did turkey eggs before.

Thanks for your help.

2. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Turkey eggs should fit in chicken egg turner, probably they'll fit better into the old style LG turner since plastic cups are kind of flexible.

3. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Thanks, can you tell me, are turkey eggs a lot bigger then chicken eggs? If I had a large chicken egg would a turkey egg be twice the size?

4. Ole Mule

Ole Mule Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2007
    South Carolina
    Turkey eggs are just a little larger than chicken eggs. I am using a chicken egg turner and space the turkey eggs in every other hole. I am using a hova bator forced air and maintain 99.5 degrees F. and 56 percent humidity will raise it to 65 percent on day 25 and remove turner and hope for the best.

5. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I dont recommend it, especially if you have a still air incubator. The bottom of the eggs are so pointy and they are down if the cooler area so it is hard for the egg to maintain proper temps. Besides you will get a better hatch rate hand turning. I did that once years ago, even if the eggs fit (and yes some do) they interfere with the complete turn of the turner because they stick up so high and are fatter.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I just put some in mine yesterday... I sure hope they do okay. This is what they look like.

[​IMG]

7. Oklahoma Lightning

Oklahoma Lightning Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Twin Oaks
    Will let me tell you what happened to me today. The bottom roll of my turkey eggs rolled out of the egg turner today. I picked them up and put them back but figure it will have killed the air sack.[​IMG]

8. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Oh no. [​IMG] Now I don't know what to do now. I don't know how many I'm getting, I think 6, but if I have a better hatch by hand turning then I may do that. Maybe I can put something on the ends of the turner to keep them in. Thanks everyone.

9. Oklahoma Lightning

Oklahoma Lightning Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Twin Oaks
    I wondering if we put netting over the top and used bread ties to archor it, if that work. I also learn that if you take the eggs that roll out and lay them flat on the tray with a towel under them for seven days and DONOT turn them the air sack can repair it self. Worth a turn, what you got to loses.

10. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:How far along are you? It never hurts to try. Let us know how things turn out for you. [​IMG]

What kind of netting are you talking about?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by