Turkey eggs older than 10 days?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by freechickens1, Mar 28, 2017.

1. freechickens1

freechickens1 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    Hi,
    I am about to incubate some turkey eggs. I have 7, the oldest of which is 6 days old. However, I wanted about 10. I would have nine, but two of the eggs got cracked (for some reason our female turkeys like laying on paving slabs). Anyway, I have two eggs that I have been keeping at about room temperature and they are about 14 days old at most, probably 13. I was wondering if it might be worth a try to incubate them?
    Best regards,
    Finn

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  2. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I regularly collect and store eggs (chicken, guinea, turkey) up to 14 days with the rare storage of up to 21 days with nearly as good success with the older eggs as with the fresher eggs. There can be some degradation and loss of hatchability by keeping the eggs for extended time periods.

I do keep the eggs in my basement which has cooler temperatures and higher humidity. I don't recommend storing eggs at room temperature. I also store them big end up in egg cartons with one end of the carton elevated. I attempt to alternate the high end of the carton 3 times a day.

Good luck.

3. freechickens1

freechickens1 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.
    They were stored at room temperature just in an egg bowl. I've put them in anyway though. Hopefully they'll hatch!
    Best regards,
    Finn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by