1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey eggs under chickens?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dancingbear, Apr 24, 2009.

1. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Who's tried hatching turkey eggs under a broody chicken? How did it turn out? Thanks!

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have 3 turkey eggs under one of my broody silkies (Thats all of those big suckers she could handle...LOL) We are on day 4 so far so good. I guess we will see in another 24 days.

3. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:My mother always used broody hen to hatch turkeys and ducks with great success.

I was a kid then and I was sorry for the hen sitting on eggs one extra week.

4. Butterball

Butterball Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    I wondered how this would work seeing as how they take an extra week to hatch. So, they don't get tired of waiting huh?

5. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:I had a little red hen that a turkey decided to nest with.

This really messed things up badly... Stinking mess.. and I mean stink.. Just a few days from the 21..

I finally put the turkey outside... cleaned the nest up.. threw a phoony egg in and the little red hen jumped on it..

I then took 5 chicken eggs and put under her which she set on for 2 weeks..

BUT I then messed up and put 8 little baby chicks in the same room with her.. She decided then that she wanted to be momma...

So then had to take the cold eggs and got 2 hatched out of 4 I put in the incubator..

So I'd say if like my hen they will keep setting on them a good while

6. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I had a silkie hen sit for 6 weeks before so Yes I believe if she is a really good broody then she will sit as long as it takes to get her some babies.

My girl has been sitting on her 3 turkey eggs for 7 days now..

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  7. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I've had hens brood straw for weeks on end. Time won't be a problem, I was wondering about the body temp. Chciks need 100F, the charts say 99F for turkeys. I'm thinking a chicken probably can't keep those big turkey eggs quite as warm as they do chicken eggs, so it probably works out just fine.

Pascopol, nice to know of some successes.

Thanks, all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by