turkey eggs vanished from nest

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by penny1780, Mar 29, 2009.

1. penny1780

penny1780 New Egg

Mar 14, 2009
    dover, ar
    My Narraganset turkey hen has just finished laying 12 eggs in her nest and started to brood on Friday. Saturday morning I went out to check on her and she wasn't in her nest and every egg had vanished. I have a secure 4 foot chain link fence and there was no digging under it. No shells anywhere and nest was in perfect order. That night we had heavy rains and tornado warnings. I am baffled about what happened to her eggs.

2. kevinsbowtie

kevinsbowtie New Egg

Jan 4, 2009
    owl maybe

3. penny1780

penny1780 New Egg

Mar 14, 2009
    dover, ar
    Her nest was in a large tupperware container with a lid on top. Only a small opening in front for the hen to go in. How could an owl steal 12 eggs??

4. penny1780

penny1780 New Egg

Mar 14, 2009
    dover, ar
    [​IMG]
    Quote:

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Raccoons will carry off eggs. Hen was unharmed? Is the chain link fence around your yard, or did you have an enclosure especially secured for the hen?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Sounds like they aren't in Kansas anymore Dorothy.

Skunks leave the shells. Weasels leave a trace.

I'm thinking racoons.

7. penny1780

penny1780 New Egg

Mar 14, 2009
    dover, ar
    That's what I thought but I set a racoon trap out with two chicken eggs in it and nothing has touched the eggs for 2 days. A couple of weeks ago my bunny was out after dark and he was de-capitated. Clean clean across the bottom of his neck. No blood or hair anywhere and not a trace of a predator. Really strange. Any ideas as to what is doing this?? I set a racoon trap out then and caught nothing.

8. camopal3

camopal3 New Egg

Mar 30, 2009
    windsor
    In re: Your Turkey eggs... It's an owl... No question due to the fact your rabbit was de-capp... This is a verified act of an owl. So sorry for your loss. Owl's can squeeze into tight places and manuvour all kinds of obstacles. He will be back as long as food was obtainable, Good-Luck

9. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I dont see an owl walking into a tub and steal all of the eggs. Seems like coons to me. I dont even think an owl could possibly down a dozen turkey eggs, if they'd even eat them. I'd say coons.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    never knew that owls ate eggs? interesting!...the things i learn on here....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by