Turkey eggs

joojy

Songster
14 Years
Jun 11, 2008
bloomington indiana
Hi,

My royal palm finally started laying eggs. We put them under our muscovy. the first one I found cracked with a dead baby in it. She still sat on the 2nd one. 2 days ago she pushed it to the side, it cracked a little, I do not know if the baby was trying to get out. I am afraid that chick is dead. Any ideas? We put the egg under a hen until we can figure out what to do. Is there a reason the babies wont' hatch?
thanks

I have never had much success with chicken eggs under my muscovies (My best result: three of fifteen hatched, and the 'Scovy squished one before I took the remaining two.) However, I have had great success with duck eggs under my chickens, and I suspect that hens are far superior brooders. In future, I would not use the duck.

Just personal experience. Maybe my 'Scovies are all just idiots.

@Pyxis?

I wouldn't do anything other than waterfowl under waterfowl. Waterfowl have big clumsy feet and they step on everything, even their own eggs. Their own eggs have thick shells to deal with this but other species' shells aren't that thick. Plus they regularly get up and swim and then come back to the nest damp, which is actually good for waterfowl eggs but not good for eggs of land birds.

How's the egg under the hen doing?

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the scovy..
My scovy's were super egg hatchers. very dedicated .
I have put eggs of various species under just about any other species with good success.

ducks under chickens. guineas under turkeys. you get the idea.. whatever is broody gets the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom