turkey eggs

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by hitnspit, May 20, 2010.

1. hitnspit

hitnspit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    New Haven, Vermont
    How old do they need to be to lay? At what age should i change there food from started to whatever? Help please....jim

2. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    My fall breed turkeys started laying about April. I feed everyone unmedicated turkey starter including my chickens free choice all that they can eat. Everyone seems to do it oposite of me. I don't live where there is any pasture. My turkeys are in full production where others have stopped. It works for me.

The Turkey manual is on this link. http://www.albc-usa.org/EducationalResources/turkeys.html

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:They can lay as early as 6 months depending on the variety and time of year. The smaller types will lay before the heavy ones. Unless you have hatched early in the spring, it will be next spring before they start to lay. The length of daylight, temp and the age is a major factor in laying. Ours lay from Dec until June or July

We feed 28% protien medicated game bird starter for the first 3 months, then a 20% start n grow for another 3 then during laying season we feed a 20% layer and non laying an 18% maintenence feed.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by