Turkey epilepsy?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jkeeton, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Jkeeton

Jkeeton New Egg

Oct 8, 2014
    Australia
    I have a young white Tom that at night or if he gets stressed starts rubbing his head along his back from side to side and moves backwards. He is catatonic when he does this as I can pick him up and move him. Does anyone know what this is? Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like wry neck or torticolis, which is a twisting of the neck, and may include walking backward or in circles. It also could be a seizure disorder. Does he have any signs of a respiratory infection? Wry or crook neck is a neurological symptom of brain inflammation that can be as simple as a vitamin deficiency, a head injury, or from certain serious infectious diseases. Start some poultry vitamins in the water or feed right away, and include vitamin B1 thiamine, Vitamin E, and selenium. Selenium is a mineral that is in eggs, ground nuts, and in ground meats and tuna, so a little of egg daily would cover that if your vitamin doesn't include it. Here is a link to read: http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

3. Jkeeton

Jkeeton New Egg

Oct 8, 2014
    Australia
    Thanks I will give it a try!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by