Turkey exhibiting signs of gapeworm.....

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by blil, Sep 7, 2011.

1. blil

blil New Egg

Sep 7, 2011
    Hey, folks. New to the forum. Been reading this forum for a long time now, but needed to ask a question today:

I have 4 turkeys that I plan on butchering next weekend. But a week or so ago one of them started displaying the symptoms of gape - difficulty breathing, stretching out neck, "coughing"/wheezing. I really don't want this guy to die on me a few days before I plan on processing him. So I would like to kill it today. My questions are:

1) Is the meat safe to eat? From what I understand gape only affect the respiratory system. I assume the meat of the turkey is still safe to eat (assuming of course, it is properly cooked).

2) The turkeys are segregated with two ducks and kept separate from our goats and chickens. Any problem with letting the goats/chickens roam in the former turkey/duck pen once the turkeys and ducks are gone? I don't want the chickens or goats to pick this up.

As I said, I've been reading this forum for a long time now picking up advice on our 24 chickens, 4 turkeys and 2 ducks. Thanks so much for any help with this issue and all the general information I've gotten over the past 18 months....

Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by