turkey eye swollen shut, massive swelling around area

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amartinlb, Sep 6, 2010.

1. amartinlb

amartinlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    This morning my young 4 month old turkeys eye is swollen shut, massive swelling around side of head, no sign of injury, no drainage, other eye clear and normal, eating etc.. Chirping a lot - maybe in pain? I isolated her from the others - what to do?

2. amartinlb

amartinlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    Checked closer had eye drainage, seemed in pain decided to put it down. It was quick. Anything to do besides watch the others? I have 6 other turkeys the same age, 3 ducks, 30 chickens all in contact with each other. If it was a respiratory infection are the others doomed or are my chickens hardier? I do not have the funds to treat them all with antibiotics. Are the turkeys more prone to catch turkey disease? Should I try to isolate the turkeys from the chickens? They have a huge open run Netted on top so they are not overcrowded but they do roost next to each other at night. I can put the turkeys in an outdoor covered run away from chickens. Should I or are they better being able to run around ?

3. Chickielady

Chickielady Spiritwood Farms Premium Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    Sorry for the loss, and I know how it feels to have something weird going on...for my 2 cents of advise:
    I would go on the Turkey forum and ask them as they are turkey experts, turkeys do get different diseases than chickens, and there are a few that it is said chickens can pass on to turkeys but I cannot remember which they are...just remember you should not house them together, good luck !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by