Turkey feed for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Vamvakas, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Well I have young chickens/roosters that are almost 5 months old and they are not growing as fast as they should be growing...

I have been feeding them layer pellets 16% protein as of lately, and they did grow abit from that...

But, I was thinking about buying a turkey grower pellets that has 21% protein for them.. I don't want to cheat them but they should be almost 1/2 the size bigger then they're now...

Is Turkey feed healthy for chickens and is it ok to feed chickens?

2. So, are you sure they arent like bantams? if you do feed them turkey feed watch out if they start to show symptoms of too much protein, i dont think that a chicken who should be 1/2 the size it should be would be healthy, cause those sounds like bantams

what breeds are they?

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I feed my chicks gamebird crumbles with no ill effects. They're nice and plump and have beautiful glossy feathers. Good luck.

4. okay so that solves the 'too high protien problem'

but, are you sure they arent banties? Cause sounds like they should be sick if they are 1/2 the size they should be

5. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    I got few buff orps, couple jersey gaints, few golden laced wyn, 1 welsummer, 3 turkens. I didnt order them to be bantams so they shouldnt.

6. well if theres JG then ya, they are LF, try the turkey feed, hope they grow bigger!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by