Turkey Feed for Rocks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by blueberry1, Jan 20, 2014.

1. blueberry1

blueberry1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    Hi Everyone! I just ordered my first batch of 25 Cornish Rocks meaties and bought what I thought was a good starter for them. This is what my local feed store recommended and was un-medicated.

How's this mix for starter? This is as close as they had to organic and non-medicated.

It is 23% Protien. Crude Fat 3.5% Crude Fiber 5% Ash 9%
    Ground Corn,Soybean Oil Meal, Ground Limestone, Deflourinated Phosphate, Vitamin Pre Mis containing Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal Sterol, Vitamin E, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Choline Chloride, Menadione Diamethylprimidinol Bisulphate, dl Methoine, Folic Acid, Trace Minerals(mag oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Copper Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenium).

I'm kind of scared to feed them all this stuff!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    I've heard it's best to use chick starter for the first 4 weeks, but there is good protein content in that feed.

I raised my meat birds from 4 weeks on a whole grain mix from the local elevator. It consisted of Corn, Wheat, Oats, Barley, Milo and Millet. I added Black Oil Sunflower Seeds myself and they loved them. I know what I had was organic and non-gmo, I allowed them to free range with my hens and I was content waiting a couple extra weeks to process (Which turned out to be a lot more than a couple weeks because my local box-ranch store sold me slow growers as CX. I was prepared for them to start breaking their own legs and having heart attacks at 12 weeks. They were just butchered Sunday at just shy of 27 weeks)

3. blueberry1

blueberry1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    I've made the choice to feed King Freedom which is 20% and has no corn or soy. I'm happy!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by