Turkey fight left one hanging on fence - Urgent

Asever1

Chirping
Feb 5, 2016
Wasilla, Alaska
My favorite tom turkey, Salt, was found night before last hanging upside down with his leg caught in the fence. And if that wasn’t bad enough, he was covered in blood on his head and neck. I believe what happened was that he fought with my other tom and in the fight lost his footing. His leg was caught up by the “knee”. It was very cold that evening and the blood was starting to freeze on him. His head and neck were engorged with blood and swelling but he was alive!
We took him down and brought him inside. I put warm wet cloths on his head to warm him and start washing away the blood. We covered him in warm towels.
It looks like one of his eyes may have been damaged but he does have the other one. However, he isn’t opening that eye anymore very well. He’s just a mess, but the swelling went down rather quickly once he was warmed and right side up again.
Now he just looks super bruised all over his head. He keeps both eyes closed but does occasionally barely open the one eye. His poor snood was damaged with a huge gash and is still a bit swollen at the end. The leg that was stuck in the fence seems structurally sound, no breaks, but when he tries to stand his foot either remains curled up or the leg shoots out behind him. If I help him get his foot right under him he can take weight on it and balance pretty well. This is an improvement over yesterday. I’m worried that he might not walk though.

He is drinking water if I put it in front of him and guide him to it. I’ve put electrolytes in the water. He will not eat though and I’m concerned. I’m wondering if there are foods he might be able to eat better than the pellets? Something that turkeys just can’t resist?

Any thoughts, tips, suggestions are welcome. I’m attaching a few pics so you can see what he looks like. My poor beautiful grand champion Royal Palm!
50A0B422-392B-4502-A404-93F209B9E3F1.jpeg Day 1
4E0880CB-BD01-44A0-8164-8CB287248C72.jpeg Day 1
A948A113-4F49-4A38-ADD8-0E6DEDF023F6.jpeg Day 2
I haven’t taken a photo yet today but he looks pretty much the same although his color looks better and his head isn’t as hot as it was. It’s been about 30 hours since he was found.
7FAC075C-EC21-4BD0-9F98-CA7621A710F0.jpeg
He’s a sweetheart and I hate to see him suffering

My favorite tom turkey, Salt, was found night before last hanging upside down with his leg caught in the fence. And if that wasn’t bad enough, he was covered in blood on his head and neck. I believe what happened was that he fought with my other tom and in the fight lost his footing. His leg was caught up by the “knee”. It was very cold that evening and the blood was starting to freeze on him. His head and neck were engorged with blood and swelling but he was alive!
We took him down and brought him inside. I put warm wet cloths on his head to warm him and start washing away the blood. We covered him in warm towels.
It looks like one of his eyes may have been damaged but he does have the other one. However, he isn’t opening that eye anymore very well. He’s just a mess, but the swelling went down rather quickly once he was warmed and right side up again.
Now he just looks super bruised all over his head. He keeps both eyes closed but does occasionally barely open the one eye. His poor snood was damaged with a huge gash and is still a bit swollen at the end. The leg that was stuck in the fence seems structurally sound, no breaks, but when he tries to stand his foot either remains curled up or the leg shoots out behind him. If I help him get his foot right under him he can take weight on it and balance pretty well. This is an improvement over yesterday. I’m worried that he might not walk though.

He is drinking water if I put it in front of him and guide him to it. I’ve put electrolytes in the water. He will not eat though and I’m concerned. I’m wondering if there are foods he might be able to eat better than the pellets? Something that turkeys just can’t resist?

Any thoughts, tips, suggestions are welcome. I’m attaching a few pics so you can see what he looks like. My poor beautiful grand champion Royal Palm!
View attachment 1239268 Day 1
View attachment 1239269 Day 1
View attachment 1239270 Day 2
I haven’t taken a photo yet today but he looks pretty much the same although his color looks better and his head isn’t as hot as it was. It’s been about 30 hours since he was found.
View attachment 1239303
He’s a sweetheart and I hate to see him suffering
If necessary you can tube feed him. Here is the thread by @casportpony on Tube Feeding Q and A.

So sorry. :hugs Is there any chance you can get him to a vet? What I worry about most is water intake. He needs a minimum of 23 ml of water per pound per day. If you can't take him to a vet you will need to tube feed him.

He’s drinking a lot of water no problem there. I’m just worried that he’s not eating. Could it be he can’t see it so he won’t eat it? Has anyone ever had a blind turkey?

Taking him to the vet is an option, but I live in rural Alaska so it’s not too terribly easy to get someone here or him there. I figure if he won’t eat for another day or his water intake drops off then I will get him tube fed or to the vet. He’s such a sweet turkey...my kids all love our Salt!

My other worry is that he’s in pain. Is there any way to know for sure or even treat him with something for pain?

You can tube feed him finely ground chicken feed or baby bird feed. The links that Casportpony and R2Elk posted will help. You can buy feeding tubes and syringes from a vet or possibly from a hospital. The size of the tube will matter for the turkey, and help getting thick feed through them. Tubing is fairly easy once you learn. I am used to tube feeding babies and adults in a hospital, but it is probably easier in a bird.

Update! Salt is recovering quite well I’m happy to report. He’s up and walking a little. He’s wobbly on the leg that was stuck in the fence but I think it’s healing.
His left eye is most likely not going to be restored. That side of his face appears to have taken the worst of everything. I can see an eyeball in there but it looks pushed back a bit and the membrane is swollen and distorted. The skin on that side is very bruised and stiff. I’ve been using warm compresses on it to soften the skin and keep it clean.
He can’t open the lid and that could just be related to the stiffness all around. I’m hoping it’s healing on its own in there with the lid and skin kind of acting like a bandaid or patch. I’ve put Vetericyn Ophthalmic Gel in that eye.

He’s eating a bit now too and his poop is almost back to normal. Not so watery and explosive as it was

Thanks to all of you for hearing my plea for help and all of your prayers for my big guy!
F4F8D057-5856-44E2-8A1A-9CADF7EBA1C6.jpeg 06B98D45-61D9-4278-8CA6-AED433779511.jpeg 82A2AE2E-7252-4847-AE24-9CED66E66FF3.jpeg
Day 5

Back
Top Bottom