Turkey Fights (pics)

ninjapoodles

Sees What You Did There
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Central Arkansas
These are not the best pictures, but when it started happening, I didn't have the correct lens on, and they were in deep shade.

The fights have officially begun among the Narragansett Toms. This free-for-all scrap went on for about half an hour. The strutting and posturing was just ridiculous. I'm hoping we can get them to butchering day before they tear each other apart.

I stretch your face!
2897713552_7b9d6e74c6.jpg

There are at least three separate fights going on here!
2896871471_75d7317a7d.jpg

Aren't they ridiculous? I'm not getting too bent out of shape about it, because during daylight hours, they have 5 acres to move around in and get away from each other if they want. On this particular day, they got all worked up about something unusual (we were building something), started puffing and strutting, and that morphed into the squabbling.

Hi do you have hens as well?? if its just males it may stop once the pecking order is settled, if there are hens, it will not stop in most cases unless you can get the hens out of there sight..

Just my 2 cents on it..

Charlie

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks, Charlie--yes, we have four hens and seven toms, at least until the end of November. I suppose we could pasture the toms with the horses, though I'm not sure how we'd ever catch them again. :eek: We were hoping to keep two toms back for breeding, but now we're thinking maybe we should just have one, no backup.

Back
Top Bottom