Turkey folks -- why are my hens laying eggs AFTER a hatch?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by chickenannie, May 29, 2008.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Two of my RB turkey hens have 2 week old chicks and have already laid 8 eggs apiece in each of their pens in new nests. Is that normal? I'm bumming because these eggs aren't fertile -- the tom is separated because he may hurt those chicks -- so I am just tossing them (no one wants to eat them). argh.
    Should I put the tom and hens together again so that I can hatch a second nest from each hen? What will the chicks do if momma is sitting on a new nest? It doesn't seem right... help?

2. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Why don't you eat them?

3. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    No reason in particular, but when I offer them to my egg customers, everyone says "eww" and isn't interested.

4. CUDA

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Thats crazy, those things are good eating, and big to boot! I do think it is strange they started laying so soon btw.

5. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Bake a cake with them...duck eggs are good for baking to...

Charlie

6. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    wilds, you have a lot of turkeys, don't you? do you know if this is normal behavior ??

I'll find a way to use the eggs. I'd rather have more chicks though.

Can someone answer my original question?

7. CUDA

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I haven't had turkeys too long, but they seem to act the same as my regular fowl. I have never seen a bird start laying that soon, and while still caring for chicks. If you want more chicks, take the babies away, put them in a brooder, and put the tom back in with them. Good luck!

8. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Turkey hens will stay fertile from breeding for a couple of months even if seperated from the gobbler. If she has been bred less than 2 months ago those eggs may be fertile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by