Turkey food and snacks??

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by echickenlove, Apr 26, 2009.

1. echickenlove

echickenlove Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2008
    Bella Vista AR
    Just a quick question..What do turkeys eat besides chicken food as I would told when I purchased him? Do they eat vegetables and fruits? Any feedback would be appreciated..I want my baby to have the best!!![​IMG]

2. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Turkeys eat almost anything. They love greens like kale and spinach. They like hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, bread, pasta, crickets, meal worms, oatmeal, yogurt, melon..... the only thing I noticed, and this may just be my turkeys is that they weren't as eager to eat meat as the chickens. They'd eat it, make no mistake but the chickens will jump on anything meat and fight over it while the turkeys generally left it for last.

3. echickenlove

echickenlove Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2008
    Bella Vista AR
    ;)Thank you very much! Looks like I will be doing some shopping tomorrow!

4. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    Yeah, if you let them they will actually clean your left overs from a dinner or what ever. Kinda like a pig will eat almost anything you put in front of them. Mine love old stale bread. And when the black berries come in season they pick every ripe one they can find, if the goats don't beat them to it. But they are all over here as they grow wild and the huckleberries.

5. gaviota

gaviota Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    My turks are very un-adventurous when it comes to food and seem to think if they did not eat it yesterday they will not eat it today.
    It took two weeks to convince them to try pumpkin but now they love it, They will eat apples only if I cut them in half and will not touch broccoli or cabbage or tomatoes. They really love zucchini and cukes so plant several of those.
    Trying to give them a regular variety might help get them interested in new things so you will not have my trouble of picky eaters.

6. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Quote:That's funny. [​IMG]

I'll have to try the zucchini and cukes.

7. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Make sure you don't feed un proccessed beans. as there is a chemical in most of that can irriatate poultry.

generally speaking, but not always when beans or related plants are cooked it nutralizes the chemical in guestion.

8. ranchcookie

ranchcookie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    the beans thing i can speak for personally.... i just about killed a boyfriend over that! (well, he thought he was dying anyhow LOL)
    i had cooked the beans in the water that they were soaked in, but someone had forgotten to tell me that you soak the beans to help remove the toxins that are in the beans silly me, but i will never ever forget that again!

9. HollyMolly

HollyMolly New Egg

Sep 24, 2015
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I fed my turkeys pumpkin and grapes and a few days later one got sick but got better and now the other Turkey got sick but didn't make it...could that of caused death?

10. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    It is highly unlikely that feeding mature turkeys raw pumpkin would cause any problems. Some people recommend raw pumpkin seeds to use as a wormer for poultry. I regularly feed my turkeys and chickens raw pumpkin, cantaloupe, tomatoes and watermelon. I have never had any health issues with any of them.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by