1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Turkey Fryer Bargain

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Oregon Blues, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I was just in Walmart. They had a turkey fryer with a sign that said $46, which is a good price. Every place else is at least $65. So I picked one up and at the cash register, it rang up as $34.

The burner looks like it is poorly finished. So I hope this thing works. It has an excellent sturdy stand to hold the pot, so I'm hoping it will be good for scalding.

Also, I am looking forward to trying a deep fried duck.

2. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Quote:That does look pretty nice.
    However, it cannot be used to heat water for scalding during butchering. That is one of the nice things about a turkey fryer - multi-use. We used ours for a fish boil one year, maked enough for a crowd!

Oregon Blues - nice find! [​IMG]

4. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    They are very handy things to have. I use mine for cooking, canning, and scalding chickens.

Set it up in the well house to thaw the pump out one year, you have to be very careful with that though, I noticed the roof was smoking after not very long. : )

5. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Quote:Have 1 of these myself and absolutely love it. Cooks drunk chicken and turkey perfect.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Deep fried duck? Oh please try it and let me know how it taste. I so would love to try that one day.

7. La Mike

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Julie they are awesome cooked in that thing. Nice super crispy skin no grease [​IMG]

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Mike, now I have got to get me one. [​IMG]

9. La Mike

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG] you wont be dissapointed I would bet.

10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Turkey fryer was only on the I'll-get-one-someday list until I heard about the deep fried duck. That did it. Had to get the fryer.

That infrared fryer looks smart. The cost of the oil really adds to the cost of the meal. If you can get the same effect without buying the oil, that would be nice. No oil purchase would pay for the extra cost of the fryer real quick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by