turkey fryer

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Sep 12, 2010.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    any experts out there?
    I'm going out to buy one this week and am wondering if I need the deluxe Cabelas model or if Wal Mart's cheapy is just as good?
    I don't mind spending the extra $ if it's worth it . . . but wondering how different they can be???
    Can anyone weigh in on this one?
    thanks!!! [​IMG]

2. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    When I am looking for information, even on electrical stuff or cooking utensils, I go to Amazon.com, and see if they have the item listed. Often there are reviews, and you may be able to compare the two, if you have model numbers, etc. I don't know if you'll find out what you need to this way, but it's worth a shot.

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    or google turkey fryer consumer reports [​IMG]

4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    We have a cheapie walmart fryer.

Word of advice - get a turkey or two when they are on sale after the holidays to "test" it out before putting a good bird in there. There is a "trick" I guess to using them and and getting a feel for how to cook a bird right - and not make it burnt on the outside and raw on the inside [​IMG]

We do wild turkey in ours, after I brine it and shoot it up with homemade Italian dressing. VERY tasty [​IMG]

5. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    I've got a cheap one from Farm & Fleet. It works great. It is the only way we prepare turkeys around this house.

My favorite injection is 50% Franks Red Hot, 50% butter. I call it "Buffalo Turkey" and it is a family favorite. It tastes like hot wing sauce but the "heat" is not there after cooking. I always put another bowl of the sauce out for folks who want more on theirs. I know what your thinking.... your just going to have to trust me on this. Every time I bring this somewhere new they always make another bird because they think people will not want the "hot" turkey. At the end of the day my platter is always gone, and the other one is full.

ETA: Make sure it is the Franks Original. Do not use the Franks Buffalo sauce, it is not the same thing. The original mixed with butter is the best. You can also use the Louisiana Hot Sauce but Franks is more "vinegary" tasting and seems to work better.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  6. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Huge difference in price depends on if it's aluminum or stainless steel... The cheap ones from Wally World are aluminum.... so really the better buy is the stainless if your looking for durability and if you want to keep it looking "pretty"

I still use a turkey fryer to scald my chickens.... I have had if for about 7 years now and it's aluminum. It looks horrific and has a couple of dings but it's functional. So I guess it depends on what your wanting it for.

7. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    all good info thanks guys!

8. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    Quote:my first batch we used our turkey fryer, but it was just large enough to do 1 at a time which ment i had to wait another min or so before a second one was done to put 2 in my tub plucker at once which is what works best.

I also noted i had to add water about every 4th chicken or so, which ment my water temp fluctuated more than i wanted resulting in non-even scalds which showed in the plucking stage.

so a few questions

do you still do one at a time (or is yours big enough to do 2 at a time)

how do you deal with frequent water loss and therefore makeup water and temp regulation.

9. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    A coworker bought the one from WalMart. He got it home and got it out of the package. But then he went to Cabelas and saw the better one and bought it. He took the WallMart one back. No comparison...

10. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    but was that just looks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by