Turkey geeting mean

crazychixgirl

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2020
Maryland
Hi all,

I have a broad-breasted white turkey hen that is about 8 months old and she has always been the sweetest thing, until recently. Lately, she has become aggressive and will puff up her feathers and peck at me and make a noise I've never heard her make before. She never used to do this and she used to love to be pet and was never aggressive like this ever before. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Also, I don't know if this is related, but I came home today and one of my white leghorn hen's head is bleeding like crazy and she was obviously attacked by something, then I noticed that my turkey's beak had blood on it as well. She has lived with chickens her whole life since I got her as a chick, so I don't know if possibly she is the culprit of attacking my leghorn or an animal since they are free-range.

Thanks for your input. I wouldn't doubt it either since the way she has been acting. I was wondering though if you have any ideas on what might have caused her change in behavior? She has never acted like this before and I don't want her to continue to have an attitude.
Most likely a hormone change. As a BB, your turkey is sexually mature. It is also a possibility that it can be caused by improper feed.

Food effect on aggressive turkeys

Hi all,

I have a broad-breasted white turkey hen that is about 8 months old and she has always been the sweetest thing, until recently. Lately, she has become aggressive and will puff up her feathers and peck at me and make a noise I've never heard her make before. She never used to do this and she used to love to be pet and was never aggressive like this ever before. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Also, I don't know if this is related, but I came home today and one of my white leghorn hen's head is bleeding like crazy and she was obviously attacked by something, then I noticed that my turkey's beak had blood on it as well. She has lived with chickens her whole life since I got her as a chick, so I don't know if possibly she is the culprit of attacking my leghorn or an animal since they are free-range.
She is trying to assert her dominance over you. It is a pecking order thing.

It is very likely that the turkey did the damage to the chicken. You need to separate the turkey from the chickens before it hurts more of them.

Thanks for your input. I wouldn't doubt it either since the way she has been acting. I was wondering though if you have any ideas on what might have caused her change in behavior? She has never acted like this before and I don't want her to continue to have an attitude.

Back
Top Bottom