Turkey Growth Rate

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ahieb, Jul 10, 2016.

1. ahieb

ahieb New Egg

Jul 9, 2016
    I've got 9 poults and 1 has been dwarfed by the other 8. They've exceeded more than double is size. Could I be dealing with a parasite or virus in the one? I've separated and made sure it's feeding and drinking. Quite alert and mobile but no other explanation for the dwarfism. Any direction would be helpful.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If they are all the same breed, as there is a midget white variety that is smaller, then there is what they call failure to thrive. There can be something wrong with it internally, a malformed organ or improperly working gland that causes them to stop growing and then die. Hopefully it's not what is going on but it's something I would suspect. I developed diabetes as a kid, I'm sure there's something similar in young poults.

3. ahieb

ahieb New Egg

Jul 9, 2016
    Interesting. They are all Bronze Broad Breasted. Im assuming either a parasite or deformity but have never experienced something quite like this. they are now pushing 2.5 weeks old.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    This year in my batch of chicks I incubated I had one do the exact same thing and it died soon after. Not every one is correctly formed unfortunately. I will root for your little one to make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by