Turkey had to be put down... =(

texascowboy1979

Songster
10 Years
Aug 14, 2009
Texas - Best Place on Earth
Well, in short, I had to put down one of my two Broad Breasted White Hens.

I was planning on breeding her this season and then retireing her in the pasture as she is WAY to big and needs a more grassed diet..

Any Hoo... I got this "BRIGHT" idea that if I let my turkey loose in the pasture, she would be able to get some much needed excersise and mabye loose a few pounds. SHe's been in the pasture last season with no problem...

This is what happend to her. Something bit her on her brest, and peeled off the entire skin and feathers from both breast...
sad.png
rant.gif

She was limpping to me for help and I nearly Cried in horror... The exposed meat was larger than that of a dinner plate. The only thing I could do was end her suffering FASTER instead of an entire day of paid and aggony...
barnie.gif

What could have done it?

idunno.gif

Could it have been a Dog? Bobcat? Coyotoe? Donkey? Pony?

The donkey and ponies have never shown any agression to the turkeys, ducks and geese... Then again Im not home for most of the day while Im at work...

.... My poor poor girl. The last BBW Hen I have has been moved to my yard... and is no longer in the pasture.

Last edited:
Quote:
But it just feels so awful!!! UGH ... What a horrible feeling I have inside right now... It hurts to kill a pet... yes... the 2 BBWhites were pets... I tried to eat them for thanksgiving twice... but could not do it... They were my 1st turkeys... Now Ive only got the 1 White... and She's over weight too... all my other turkeys are quite healthy and fit.

I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe one of the horses kicked at her and she couldn't get out of the way. I have horses and turkeys and one of the horses will get agitated if the birds get to close, she does the same with the cat. Most move out of the way fast enough.

I have a BBW hen as well, sweetest bird.

I am sorry for your loss. I am in a very similar situation. A stray dog came through the yard and killed 2 of my Toms and 2 of my hens. The third Tom had most of his feathers from his tail and on his back torn off. I keep hoping he'll pull through, but today realized I may have to put him down tomorrow. And like yours, these are pets, and my breeders. It hurts.

So question, any one know how long the hens will remain fertile after the toms stops servicing them? I've heard different times, from a few days to a few weeks. It has been about 3 days now.

Thanks.
Clay

Stray dogs have been our major problem here. Wish the county would take care of the problem and save me the ammo cost.

Could also have been a raccoon, or she may have even gotten an injury that got abscessed and it blew out (I had a stray cat show up with half of the skin peeled away from his face and that's what the vet thought happened). I take it there wasn't a chance to sew it up? My condolences...

As far as fertility goes, I believe it's up to three weeks, but I could be wrong. If she is laying, just keep setting the eggs until you see no development.

Back
Top Bottom