Turkey has strange pine cone shaped lump in chest

petmainia

Chirping
Sep 24, 2018
Colorado Springs, Colorado
91C3F214-D83E-499C-B1E2-4B18FE4D400B.jpeg
61618E27-4A97-4E86-BF5F-915C86CEDA7A.jpeg
A4299BDC-7ABC-4FB4-857B-6EDC13DDF9DF.jpeg
My 8 month old turkey, Tiny Tom has a strange pinecone shaped lump growing out of the middle of his chest. We just noticed it today so it's fairly new. It's the same color as his skin. Sorry about the pictures, it's a little hard to keep him still. He is the first turkey I've ever had so I don't know much about them. Is he ok? And is this normal?

View attachment 1709457 View attachment 1709459 View attachment 1709460 My 8 month old turkey, Tiny Tom has a strange pinecone shaped lump growing out of the middle of his chest. We just noticed it today so it's fairly new. It's the same color as his skin. Sorry about the pictures, it's a little hard to keep him still. He is the first turkey I've ever had so I don't know much about them. Is he ok? And is this normal?
Nothing strange about it, it is his or her beard. Both hens and toms can grow beards. All toms grow beards. On the tom, the beard is heavier than the beard a hen can grow. Toms typically start beard development by six months. The age that the beard is starting and since it does not appear to be a heavy beard makes me question if your turkey actually is a tom.

Another characteristic that people attribute to toms is strutting. Again both hens and toms can and do strut.

Back
Top Bottom